Wine Tasting - Josh Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon



Name: Josh Reserve North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
Variety: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: North Coast AVA, California
Country: USA
Year: 2019
Price: $22

Winery Review: This big, structured wine will need an equally big, meaty dish to pair with, since it wraps very firm tannins around delicious spices and black fruits. A good sense of layering and concentration helps it stand out from the pack.

Wine Folly: pg. 265 Cab Sav in general recommends and oversized glass at room temp. I didn't use the oversized glass but it was served at room temperature. It talks about lots of dark berry flavors, plus pepper and cocoa. I definitely picked up on the dark fruits and pepper flavors, but I didn't get any of the chocolate. It also mentioned the tannins, which I definitely picked up on.

                        My Review: I really enjoyed this wine! My enjoyment was definitely enhanced by the lack of good wines I've                            had over the past few weeks, and the lovely company I shared while having it. The label talks about cherries,                            which if I really focused on I could pick up, but it took a lot effort and didn't come naturally to me, which                                    definitively stems from my lack of experience picking out these flavors. I definitely picked up on the pepper,                                specifically on the finish, and the tannins were more subtle than other cabs I've had, but still very present. I felt                            the kick from the higher alcohol content, but it wasn't anything crazy. I had some chocolate peanut butter cups                            with it, which paired very nicely, cutting through the peppery bits and smoothing the whole wine, especially the                         tannins. Really enjoyable overall.

 

Comments